Our Church was originally established by a fund set up by the Highland Society of London in 1808 to provide for Gaelic-language worship in London. Its first premises were in what is now Hatton Yard in Hatton Garden and it moved to its current site in 1827. Over its two hundred years of existence it has had four different church affiliations, belonging successively to the Church of Scotland, the Free Church of Scotland, the Presbyterian Church of England and the United Reformed Church. Over that time many famous people have been associated with our church, including Edward Irving, John Ruskin, Thomas Carlyle, Sir Robert Peel, Samuel Taylor Coleridge and George and Ada Reith (parents of John Reith, the founder of the BBC, who were married in our church in 1870).
The original Regency Gothic Church, which was a miniature version of York Minster (photo of exterior top left and interior picture bottom left) was seriously damaged by bombing in World War II. The church was completely rebuilt in 1965 (photo of exterior top right and interior picture bottom right). Now we
have completely remodeled and extended the building for a new century of service to a changing inner-city residential community, visitors to London and numerous institutions (colleges, hospitals etc.) in the neighbourhood.
to know more?...........Click
Barbara Waddington's short history of the church